Our 2019 Beginners' Course will again be led by David Packham, Seasonal Bee Inspector, with assistance from other beekeepers.
The course is intended for complete beginners without bees and no or very little experience but with the desire to learn about bees and beekeeping with a view to keeping bees. Students will automatically become members of DBKA and BBKA by enrolling on the course.
- The natural history of the honey bee.
- Clothing and equipment.
- Products of the beehive.
- Getting started with bees.
- The annual cycle of work in the apiary, including swarm control.
- Disease, poisoning and pests of the honey bee.
Individuals who are known to react badly to bee stings are advised against handling bees.
The Green Room, Broadclyst Victory Hall, Broadclyst, Exeter EX5 3EE.
- Wednesday 6th February 2019.
- Wednesday 13th February 2019.
- Wednesday 20th February 2019.
- Wednesday 27th February 2019.
- Wednesday 6th March 2019.
- Wednesdayy 13th March 2019.
The sessions will run from 7pm - 9pm (with a short break for tea/coffee).
Two practical apiary sessions will be planned for (provisionally Saturday 6th and Saturday 27th March 2019) depending on the weather.
- £110 to include BBKA registered membership (normally £37) for one year.
- £90 for partner, living at the same address as a registered member, includes partner membership.
- £55 for junior member (under 18 on 1st January 2019) to include junior membership.
Payment due by 1st December 2018.
Space is limited to 20 students and early booking using the booking form below is advised to avoid disappointment.
Cancellations up to one month before the course start date (6th January 2019) will be refunded in full. Cancellations after this point will receive no refund, but you may instead elect to defer to the following year subject to the payment of any increase in the course fee.